Sunday, March 20, 2011

Letter: Should I Buy a Heart Rate Monitor?

Question: Should I buy a Heart Rate Monitor?

Steve: I have one, and used it to see if I was rocking my goal, but now generally just know what effort feels like 1-10. Here's what I tell my clients. Grade yourself on effort 1-10. That's how many calories you burned per minute of exercise. This is counting only additional calories burned, where HRM's count all calories burned, include what I call Couch-Calories (what you would have burned lying on the couch watching Glee)

I actually think in a weird way, it's more accurate than HRM's because on weight training you burn less during the workout, but then more post workout. Cardio, you burn more during the cardio and less after. Kind of weird, but that's why weight training burns more in the long run than cardio.

Here's what I do now. I think about it and realize that, EVERY STINKING TIME, I could be pushing harder. Every time. There's not been one single time that the amount of effort I'm putting forth has entered my mind that I couldn't push just a little bit harder.

Basically just always push harder. The harder you push- the closer to lean towards the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment