Monday, March 7, 2011

Letter of advice to a friend

Here's a letter I just wrote to a friend who's been struggling with some binges recently.  Something I know all too much about.  I thought I would share it with you guys, as I'm sure it applies to many more people than we admit.

Hey - I didn't want to post anything publicly, but I thought I should share what I know about Binges.  I was diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder a couple years ago, and still battle it today.  It's such a difficult road to go down and everyone has to find a separate path that works for them.  I thought maybe some of the things I do each day might help you if you feel the binges coming on.  If this is unsolicited advice, please feel free to just erase it and ignore me, I just thought about how I was going through this alone and felt crazy.


It didn't hit me until I turned 30, so all of a sudden I was spinning out of control and couldn't stop myself.  My binges would usually last 3-4 days and roughly 7,000-8,000 calories per day (sometimes much much more).

A typical binge for me, left me totally out of control of my body.  I knew it was happening, and couldn't stop it.  It was always secretive and often started late night, when I was alone.  Here's what I do every day to help fight it.

Recognize that it will probably happen again.  Saying never again, leads to feeling like more of a failure for binging again.  Instead, I've found that trying to put together streaks works for me.  I keep a dry erase calendar and write a number instead of the date for consecutive binge-free days.  Sometimes, knowing that I've been good for 17 days straight is enough to keep me clean, so I don't have to start over at 1!

Timing helps me.  I eat on a clock.  Every 3 hours.  I know you don't have to for this starvation mode thing that everyone's so deeply concerned about here, it's more for a structure that helps me.  Then 1 day a week, I give myself 6 hours to eat carbs and sugar.  It's easy to not eat it when I know that I'm not allowed it on weekdays, then once my carb up starts, I look at the clock and don't judge myself for 6 hours.  Then I'm good for another week.

Here's the big one.  I read and study every single day.  In the morning, I'll get up an hour before I have to and have breakfast and read a book on nutrition/exercise/self-improvement.  Sometimes that's just stupid early, but I do it every day.  It sets the tone for the rest of the day, and keeps my mind focused on moving forward with my life.  I refuse to not improve just a little bit each day.  It's absolutely critical to keep taking one step forward.

Don't think of life as a road, think of it as a moving walkway that is trying to drag you backwards!  You have to keep stepping forward each day!

I'm here with you if you have any questions or I can help in anyway.

Read the book, "Binge No More" by Nash.  It's a great read and has really helped me on my journey!

Steve

It's funny how the morning sets the tone for the whole day.   Some people like to workout first thing in the morning for just that reason.  It keeps your mind active and into moving forward all day long, where, skipping breakfast or hitting fast food can put your mind in the fat/lazy mindset all day long.  I've never been a big morning workout guy - but my hour of reading/studying puts me in the right mind set all day.

Anyway - progress report!

Last week was really good.  This phase will have me lifting heavy every other day.  So I lifted Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun last week, then this week will be Tue, Thur, Sat.  My carb up started right after my workout Sunday and lasted about 6 hours.   It was green grapes, pizza and 15 girl scout cookies.  Not ideal - but at least within my calorie range.





I was super happy with the improvement in my numbers Sunday.  I'm working extra hard on progression this phase.  I've never done the same workout this many times, usually changing things up after 3 times through the workout, progression will be the absolute key here!

Here's my workouts for the past week 9:


  • Sun: OoO Mammoth UML
  • Mon: Full-Body, Plank Abs
  • Tue: BodyBlitz
  • Wed: Insanity Fast and Furious, Full-Body
  • Thu: Plank Abs, Spinning
  • Fri: Yoga Class, Full-Body
  • Sat: Walk 3mph/10incline 30 minutes, Forearms/Calves
  • Sun: Power 90 Abs, Full-Body





Here's my workout for today!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/11/19/550-rep-fat-massacre/

Do it - you'll love it and burn so many calories you can't believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment