Sunday, July 18, 2010

Life on the Road

My work leads to some pretty crazy hours. Sometimes I have to be up at 6am for a morning church gig, then sometimes my night club gig doesn't even start until 10pm. Sometimes I have a training session at 5:30am (leave my house by 4:30am) then train all day, and head to a gig that lasts until 1am. This is the life I choose and I'm happy with it.

However, that being said - it makes nutrition on the go, sometimes difficult. So many people complain that life is just too busy to eat right. I will prove otherwise if you give me a couple minutes of your time.

Excuse 1) My friends eat poorly.

Fine, let them. Just because they are ordering the 2 doughnut special with a side of fries doesn't mean you can't find something that you want that will make you feel better long past the initial satisfaction when it hits your tongue. You will feel so good about yourself when your friend finishes the doughnuts and adds 100g of pure fat to their waistline while you eat your healthy option.

Excuse 2) I have to keep bad food in the house for my wife/husband/kids/friends/whatever.

Really? You've chosen to make eating and living a healthy, happy lifestyle a part of your life, yet you're fine with feeding Doritos to your kids or mate? No way! Throw it out. They shouldn't eat it anymore than you should. They'll be pissed, but probably live longer for it.

Excuse 3) I'm too busy!

This drives me insane!  Eating healthy does NOT take more time than eating crappy!  In fact, most of my meals are cooked in less than 15 minutes.  INCLUDING clean up time!  I'll work on posting some super fast, nutritious ideas for people on the go in the future.

Road food tips!

1) McDonalds Grilled Chicken Patty.  Look - I'm not saying this is the best health food out there.  Sometimes, you are just forced to fast food.  The chicken patty (no bun - just chicken) comes out to 22g Protein/2g Carbs/2g Fat - 120 calories.  No, it's not pure chicken - there is a list of ingredients that I don't love, but I'll take it over a Big Mac and fries any day!

2) Sliced Ham (or other lunch meat) - it's easy to grab while running out the door and eat it when you need a snack.

3) Olive Oil - I keep a jar of Olive Oil in my car all the time.  If you're out and grab a salad (available almost anywhere) instead of use the horrible dressing that comes in packets, use a tablespoon of oil for some healthy fats.

4) Fruit.  An apple and banana will keep all day in the car.  Just keep a couple in the fridge for when you know you'll be busy all day for a quick healthy pick-me-up!

Look - it comes down to preparedness.  If you plan ahead, you won't get stuck out there with nothing to eat.  Next time you're in subway - go with a salad with double ham or turkey and your trusty olive oil dressing instead of a giant insulin producing bun with that $5 footlong.  You'll be happier and healthier and you can still sing the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment