Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Update: Time/Volume Training

I finished my first two workouts of this phase and as usual, made a few changes as I learned it.  First - 15 minutes of chin-ups, even in sets of 3 is way too long!  I failed pretty quickly.  I added in Reverse Back Rows alternating with chins after the first 5-6 minutes.  15 minutes of dips are incredibly tough.  I'm sitting here typing this through mind-numbing D.O.M.s in my chest right now - 3 days out from my chest workout.

Here's the change in plan:

I'm going to keep up the same split - same 15 minutes per body part, but pick a new exercise each workout to really target in different body parts.  Some days will be bodyweight, some will be lifting, all will be done on a 30 second interval timer.  This will allow about 8-10 seconds for a 3 rep set, then a 20 second rest.  The only thing this won't work for is the easier workouts - like diamond push-ups, pike press, etc.

This past week looks like this:

Sunday:
  • Dips
  • Barbell Shoulder Press
  • Bench Press
Tuesday:
  • Chin-Ups/Reverse Back Rows
  • Dumbbell Biceps Curls
  • Seated Leg Extension
Thursday and Friday - I'll pick new exercises that target the same body parts.  I'm really looking forward to being able to mix it up each workout.  Going on the road with this technique will be really great as well, as we can pick only bodyweight stuff or use weights if there is a gym there.

I'm continuing with the "no cardio" approach except for what I do while teaching my class.  As long as I can stay lean and keep building muscle, no need to crush myself with more cardio nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment