Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nutrition Identical Days - EZ Style

Cardio day - I gotta be honest, I was going to do legs today, but finally my sore butt kicked in from the Sunday 400 Rep Challenge.  It's weird, I wasn't sore at all on Monday, so I changed the plan of P90X Chest/Shoulders/Tri and did just heavy lifting CST as well.  After 400 burpees, I expected my chest/arms to be super sore, but really it was my butt today.  The plan was going to be 500 kettlebell swings, but as I was warming up, my glutes were screaming.  After thinking about doing BodyBlitz about 2 hours later, I decided it was not a good choice to swing the KB today.  I'll knock it out tomorrow or Thursday.

I'm still hovering around 3,000 calories every day and 35% Protein, 65% Fat and basically no carbs.  The only carbs I eat each day is one or two bowls of baby spinach or spring mix greens from a bag with some sort of meat seasoned over top.  I was talking to a friend about what to eat on the Primal/Anabolic Diet.  She is so confused on what to eat.  I don't know why, but I honestly have no issue eating almost the same thing every day.



Of course, this lead her to suggest that's where my Binge Eating comes from.  This is not a trigger of B.E.D.!  Actually, speaking of that, there are no real triggers that I know of for B.E.D. outside of overall depression/stress.  Some people can feel deprived of certain foods that they "don't allow" in their diet.  This is typical of an over-eater, but not so much from someone with a disorder.

I don't feel like I'm being deprived of pizza, ice cream, chocolate, pasta or whatever, it's that I know that shit is bad for me and choose not to eat it on weekdays.  Of course I want it because it tastes super good!  But there's a difference between being deprived and choosing a healthy lifestyle.

So here's the thing.  I eat almost the same thing every day.  I like it, I like knowing how my calories and macro-nutrients are going to workout through the day, I like saving some calories for nighttime when I'm winding down watching a movie.  I've found something that works for me and that has kept me clean for 76 out of 77 days.  This streak would have been unheard of back 6 months ago when my old carb cravings and binges were coming back harder than ever.  I could feel myself reverting - and I won't let that happen.

Here's my almost daily diary.

Breakfast: Meat Omelet
Snack: Cheese
Lunch: Meat/Chicken Grilled over Salad
Snack: Whey Protein Shake
Dinner: Steak/Turkey/Fish
Snack: Cheese/Sausage/Bacon snack-munchie type food

It's really pretty easy to eat this way folks.  The hardest thing is the omelet which I admittedly often order out.  Everything else just goes in a skillet then straight to my belly.

I can't explain how just having a set plan on what I'm going to eat and WHEN I'm going to eat it helps reduce the stress of nutrition.  What's that?!?  When?

Here's the other thing.  I used to be obsessive about eating every 3 hours.  I was missing the boat, but didn't even know I was all wet.  (I made that up - pretty sweet right?)  Yes, eating every 3 hours is important, but not at the expense of the stress that it was putting on my life.  When I started this "diet" (notice quotes - because I thought it was a temporary reduction, then I could go back to my old ways.... yeah - that was well thought-out.) I was armed only with the information, "Eat every 3 hours to rev up your metabolism."  Great right?

So I set my phone alarm and used my calendar function.  If I ate breakfast at 9am, by noon I needed to be chewing.... Now look, metabolisms aren't set at exactly 3 hours.  Simple carbs take much less time to be broken down than fatty foods for example.  If I were to take this old way of thinking even more seriously, I would have only waited 90 minutes after eating grapes, but 4 hours after steak.... Come on - who can live like that?

So there I was using my calendar feature on my smart phone to write down every single thing I ate and what time I ate it.  Now, this is still a good idea for those of you who log your food.  I have a MyFitnessPal.com app on my Droid that is easy to sync up now, but before that came out, using the calendar while out, then later logging my food was very helpful.

That being said, one very key point of the logging without the app is, you should, when possible, log your food half way through the day.  It helps you schedule the rest of your day to make your daily nutrition totals workout right.  Smart right?  :)

So, I no longer use my calendar feature for timing my meals, I sort of sense how long it's been.  Sometimes its 2 hours, sometimes 4, but never much longer than that, and I almost always workout to AT LEAST 6 meals a day, if not 7-9.  It just feels right to eat like that now, but that took years to get right.  YEARS!

Here was my timing today:
9:00am Meat Lovers Omelet
12:30pm 3oz Skillet Steak with Baby Spinach
2:00pm 5 Sausage Patties (snack)
4:00pm 8oz Ground Beef with Baby Spinach and Pepper
5:30pm 2oz Cheese (snack)
7:00pm 1 scoop whey protein (during workout)
8:30pm 2 Wendy's Double Stacks No Bun or Condiments (driving home from work)
10:00pm 4oz Cheese (snack)

8 meals and this is just about my most typical day ever.  Tomorrow will be 99% the same, the next day will as well.  The only time I change this up is on the road, where I'll eat more fast food burgers with no bun on weekdays, then of course the 6 hour carb up on Saturdays.

So far my carb ups have been whatever food I'm really craving (which almost always is pizza) but each one gets a little easier.  I've found the 6 hour carb up is sort of my sweet spot.  I get the supercompression and the glycogen filling nutrition, but less carb cravings since I'm done with my carb up by my last meal on Saturday night.

Alright - enough for today, going to finish off my cheese and watch some Dexter, then go to bed.  Doing another class tomorrow morning early!

Accountability: 2/15 (streak 16)
  • Nutrition: A
  • BodyBlitz "Good Luck With That"

No comments:

Post a Comment