Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Time Commitment Myth

I live a great life.  Basically, I play gigs at night for the most part and have all day to workout and coach people through P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire and the other great programs Beachbody puts out.  This leads me to an extremely hardcore outlook on working out.  I get that.

I also get that the large majority of people don't have my schedule or lifestyle.  So many people have said to me, I'd love to do it, but an hour a day is just too long for me.  I have a couple thoughts on that.

First, if you aren't willing to commit an hour a day to your health and life, what is it that is so important that's taking up the other 16 or so hours a day?  Think about it - the time that you commit to your health will be repaid in the end with longer and healthier, happier lives.  It's a small commitment now, for a large return later. 

But ok, you just can't give me an hour that most of the hardcore programs ask.  I'm going to type this very clearly.

DO WHAT YOU CAN.

So many people miss the whole workout, because they don't have an hour.  Do you have 20 minutes?  DO 20 MINUTES!  Do you have 15 minutes now and 15 minutes later?  Do it that way!  Every minute you exercise, is an investment in not just your life, but the lives of our families and loved ones.  They want you around for the long haul!

The 10 minute trainer is one of the really great programs to have on hand for days like this.  Its a brutally hard 10 minute workout (there are several different workouts: Upper Body, Cardio, Yoga, Lower Body, Total Body etc) and while, I wouldn't always tell someone to rely only on this program, it's the perfect one to have by the dvd player for those days that you literally only have 10 minutes free.

OK, you don't have 10 minute trainer?  Just do the first 8 sets of P90X Chest/Back!  Just do Turbo Fire HIIT 15!  Just do Insanity Fast and Furious!  DO WHAT YOU CAN!

----------

Here's an update on my current progress.

Today I finished my 18th phase of workouts.  Each phase is anywhere from 3-6 weeks long and follows a rotation of different Beachbody workouts.  This was a major muscle building phase and follows a 3 day rotation.  These workouts are long and brutal - seriously!  The longest ones I've done since I started, but they're super fast paced.  The Chest/Back/Shoulders workout is 50 sets and I usually finish in about 70 minutes.  Not much time for rest there!

Phase 19 will be a continuation of this for the next 3 weeks, followed by a serious recovery week filled with Yoga and stretching.

I'm doing 3 weekly fit clubs now, so all of my cardio is at fit club, which is great, so I don't have to schedule any in.  If you are looking for a fit club - there is a great chance that you already have one in your area.  Ask me and I'll try to find one.  The idea of a fit club, every week you go to the free workout and do a different Beachbody workout.  They're really fun and a great chance to try some of the different programs.

We have 14 days until Halloween people.  That is enough time to drop a couple extra pounds for the ultra-sexy halloween costume you've been thinking about.  Get that nutrition clean - dig in hard for 14 days with me and see what you can do!

Steve
KnightFit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment